The Eastern Amateur will reduce its field for 2020 and will accept 120 players into the championship. Elizabeth Manor is a fast course and we generally have no trouble getting the players around the course in 4 hours and 20 minutes. This size field allows us to offer the opportunity to compete at a high level to many players who are looking for a competitive event. This size also allows for a very diverse field. There will also be a Wednesday morning qualifier for those not accepted in the championship field. 4 qualifying spots are available. Qualifier details will be posted on this site.
- The field is comprised of mostly college players. Most of these players are on scholarship on their teams or are consistent top 5 players.
- We normally accept approximately 10 mid-amateurs (25 and over) and several top juniors.
- Each year we accept international players. They have come from Australia, Africa, Asia, South America and Europe.
- We also accept players who have completed college and continue to compete at a high level both regionally and nationally.
- We have added a Wednesday morning qualifier this year for those not accepted into the championship field. Details on the qualifier will be posted to the website by March 1st.
We receive more entries than we can accommodate each year. We would like to accept all, but simply can't. We pay attention to those players who have competed in the past as well as those who have applied but not gotten accepted in previous years and reapply. Our tournament director has worked as a rules official for the past 30+ years in college golf and is familiar with most programs. The tournament chairman sends letters to nearly 100 college coaches for recommendations and receives responses from most. In addition there are many smaller non-scholarship programs with great golfers and those also receive consideration.
The selection process is a long and complex process and we spend a great deal of time and energy to ensure we are as fair as we can possibly be.